Marital Love and Hate. New York: Macmillan, 1972. Paperback, New York: Lancer, 1973.
Editor, Strategies Against Violence: Design for Nonviolent Change. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1978.
How Can We Commit the Unthinkable?: Genocide, The Human Cancer. In collaboration with Chanan Rapaport. Foreword by Elie Wiesel. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1982. Click here to read review.
- Paperback [with title change: Genocide, the Human Cancer: How Can We Commit the Unthinkable?]. New York: Hearst. Professional Books [William Morrow], 1983
- Translation into Portuguese, with new Introduction to this edition by the author and updated bibliography: Anatomia do Genocídio: Uma Psicologia da Agressão Humana. Rio de Janeiro: Editora Rosa dos Tempos, 1998. [Translated by Ruy Jungmann]
Editor, with Shamai Davidson, The Book of the International Conference on the Holocaust and Genocide. Book One. The Conference Program and Crisis. Tel Aviv: Institute of the International Conference on the Holocaust and Genocide, 1983.
Editor, Toward the Understanding and Prevention of Genocide [Selected Presentations at the International Conference on the Holocaust and Genocide]. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press; & London: Bowker Publishing, 1984.
Editor, Genocide: A Critical Bibliographic Review. London: Mansell Publishing; & New York: Facts on File, 1988. Awarded OUTSTANDING ACADEMIC BOOK OF THE YEAR by the American Library Association
Editor, Genocide: A Critical Bibliographic Review. Volume 2. London: Mansell Publishing; & New York: Facts on File, 1991.
Existential/Dialectical Marital Therapy: Breaking the Secret Code of Marriage. New York: Brunner/Mazel, 1992. Click here to read reviews.
Editor of book by the late Shamai Davidson, Holding on to Humanity – The Message of Holocaust Survivors: The Shamai Davidson Papers. New York: New York University Press, 1992.
Editor, The Widening Circle of Genocide, Volume 3 in the Series, Genocide: A Critical Bibliographic Review. New Brunswick, N.J.: Transaction Publishers, 1994.
Totten, Samuel; Parsons, William S.; and Charny, Israel W. (Eds.), Genocide in the Twentieth Century: Critical Essays and Eyewitness Accounts. New York: Garland Publishing, 1995. Click here to read Foreword and review.
- Paperback, revised and expanded, with title change: Century of Genocide: Eyewitness Accounts and Critical Views, 1997.
- Second Edition of paperback, revised and expanded, with change of subtitle and change of publisher: Century of Genocide:Critical Essays and Eyewitness Accounts. New York and London: Routledge, 2004.
Note: Additional updates of this book have appeared edited by Samuel Totten and William Parsons.
Series Editor: Krell, Robert, & Sherman, Marc I. (Eds.), Medical and Psychological Effects of Concentration Camps on Holocaust Survivors. Volume 4 in the Series, Genocide: A Critical Bibliographic Review. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction, 1997.
Editor-in-Chief, Encyclopedia of Genocide. Two Volumes. ABC-Clio Publishers. Santa Barbara, CA and Denver, CO, USA: December, 1999; Oxford, UK: February 2000. Awarded OUTSTANDING ACADEMIC BOOK OF THE YEAR by the American Library Association. Click here to read reviews.
- Associate Editors: Rouben Paul Adalian, Steven Jacobs, Eric Markusen, and SamuelTotten. Bibliographic Editor: Marc I Sherman.
Forewords by Bishop Desmond Tutu and Simon Wiesenthal: “Why Is It Important to Learn about the Holocaust and the Genocides of All Peoples?”2nd Printing, November 2000
- Partial French Edition, Fall 2001: Le livre noir de l’humanité: Encyclopédie mondiale des genocides. Ava-propos de monseigneur Desmond M. Tutu et de Simon Wiesenthal. Traduit de l’anglais par Janice Valls-Russell. Toulouse: Éditions Privat.
- 3rd Printing, December 2002
- Internet e-Book edition, 2003
Fascism and Democracy in the Human Mind: A Bridge between Mind and Society. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press, 2006. Republished as a paperback in Spring 2008. Awarded OUTSTANDING ACADEMIC BOOK OF THE YEAR by the American Library Association. Click here to read reviews.
Fighting Suicide Bombing: A Worldwide Campaign for Life. New York: Praeger Security International [Greenwood Press], 2007. Republished in India and Sri Lanka by three publishers: Penguin Books, Pentagon Press, and Lancer. Click here to read review.
NEW BOOKS IN PRESS:
A Democratic Mind: Psychology and Psychiatry with Fewer Meds and More Soul. Accepted for Publication by Rowman and Littlefield (2016).
Psychotherapy for a Democratic Mind: Treatment of Intimacy, Tragedy, Violence, and Evil. Accepted for Publication by Rowman and Littlefield (2017).